Thursday, April 7, 2011

Wow...they never cease to amaze!

I was on for a workshop a few weeks ago and when I got back I had my students do a quick-write about how the 2 days went while I was gone.  I told them that the sub had written me a note detailing their behavior and general goings on so they shouldn't lie but tell me their side of the story.  I was expecting lots of "the sub was mean," "too much work," "I didn't do anything wrong," etc etc.  What I really got was "I was disrespectful to the sub and got sent to the office."  I also got "I did all of my work but I am not a rat.  I don't tell on people."  As well as "I was bad but the sub made me write sentences and then I got my work done."

What the kids didn't and still don't know is the sub had yet to leave me a note until the next day and I was surprised at how many actually told on themselves for even the smallest things.  Some of the behavior the students mentioned were little things that the sub didn't even tell me about.

It is very refreshing that even though I have A LOT of hard headed students that can't locate the Atlantic Ocean on a map or stay in their seat or bring a pencil or pen to class, they are honest about their poor decisions and bad behavior (most of the time).

If nothing else, they gave me a good laugh and restored a little of my faith in the future world.

No comments: