Saturday, May 14, 2011

Summer trip

Ok ok I know my posts are getting further and further apart but really the 3 people that read this on a regular basis already know whatever it is that I am posting.  But, for those of you that don't know, I am going to Russia in 36 days!

Russia?  Yep!  Why?  Because how many people do I know that can say they have been to Russia?  Like 1 - and it was the Soviet Union when she was there.  Also, I am teaching 6th grade social studies this year which includes Russia in the curriculum.  But really I just love the idea of going somewhere far away - for a visit - and learning about the history and see how other people live.

In order to get ready for this trip I have been teaching my students some Russian to help me learn some Russian. I can now hold a conversation that goes something like this:
"Hello.  Good morning (or afternoon).  My name is Brandi.  What is your name?  Pleased to meet you.  Goodbye."  I can also say "please" and "thank you".

Yep.  That's about all I've got at the moment.  Not going to get me very far but like I told my students, if you can be polite, it can get you some help.  Plus I don't really think that I will be able to hide my American-ness while I am there anyway so whatever I learn will be a miracle.

I have stocked up on travel size necessities, space-safer bag things so I can pack for stuff, luggage locks that are TSA approved so they don't have to cut them off should they need to make sure I don't have a bomb, and a wall outlet adapter.  I am still waiting on my visa to come back from DC.  I had to send my passport to the Russian Embassy in DC to get the visa.  This is super scary because should something happen to that passport during transport or whatever, there is no way I will get another in time for the trip.  YIKES!!!  And the embassy has been closed for at least 6 weekdays in the last 2 weeks due to different holidays for Russia.

I also was flipping through the channels tonight and found out that I have a Russian Television channel that comes straight from Moscow but is in English.  I have been watching for about an hour and they are replaying the same exact footage that I saw when I first tuned in.  I think if I watch it a few times a week, I will know more info about the ins and outs of Russia.  Like did you know that every year they open up all of the museums all night, for one night for free to anyone that wants to come?  Or that Volgograd is powered by a hydroelectric dam on the Volga River that although provides enough power to run the town plus send extra over to Moscow is also cutting down on the sturgeon population responsible for the famous Russia caviar?  Or that there are only 1000 days until Sochi hosts the 2014 Winter Olympics?  Well, now you do!

I hope to learn more about the wonderful place I will travel to in a few short weeks.  Maybe you can learn something too!  I will keep you updated on the process of packing, etc and of course supply you with lots of stories and pictures when I get back.  Stay tuned.

No comments: