Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Ch-ch-ch-changes...

At yesterday's faculty meeting it was announced that teachers would be mixed around - grade levels and possibly subjects - for next year. We were told not to lose sleep over it or worry about the changes, everything would work out for the best. When I heard this, all I could think about was making sure I got out of the meeting in time to drive 20 minutes for a professional development class. I was not worried in the least. Whatever...I am happy for the job!

At about 10 o'clock this morning - during my 3rd period class I was called to the office...for real. The walk down there was very calming as I prayed that wherever I was moved I would be okay with it - the Lord has a plan for me and my prayer was really that I willingly accepted it.

I walked into the principal's office...dun dun dun...and she asked me to sit down. Long story short, I am being moved from seventh grade social studies to sixth grade social studies. I don't know why but when I heard that, I released the breath I didn't even realize I was holding. Why I exhaled I don't know. What did I feel at this moment?

Sixth grade?! Is this good? Is this bad? What does this mean? Why was I moved? I haven't had any real experience with 6th graders. They are basically elementary kids still. They don't know how to work lockers. You have to baby them. Oh man now I have to re-do all of my lesson plans for the year - right now I have squat! Who are the other teachers that I am going to be working with? Can I really do another "first year?" All of these things were running through my head sitting in her office.

Well...after a few moments and encouraging words, I realized that 6th graders have no idea what middle school is like - they have never been there - so I have the opportunity to get them on the right track for the next 3 years. Since I have been dealing with 7th graders I now have a few strategies to "scare" them into submission muhahaha. I also found out that the other social studies teacher is one that is currently teaching the curriculum and he is an AWESOME teacher - the kids LOVE him! He will have so many ideas and already has his stuff made up.

Another thing that is really encouraging, one of my current teammates is also moving to 6th grade and she has a lot of pull with administration and has requested that I be on her team!! It is sooo exciting and comforting to be wanted - especially enough to truly fight for me to be on her team! God is so good!

I am REALLY excited about this new change. I think the Lord has a lot to teach me through this - I KNOW I still have a lot to learn about teaching and life in general. As I finish up this year and prepare for the next I am looking forward to some of His "wha-bam" moments where I can be humbled and taught and truly learn trust and compassion and honesty (with myself and others).

YAY for Ch-ch-ch-changes!!! :)

No comments: