Saturday, January 15, 2011

Super Saturday...Extravaganza

OK...so since I have lived in the area for a year and a half, I decided it might be time to spend a Saturday exploring it. And with whom is it best to do said exploring? Only a girl's bff, that's who! (or is it whom?)

First stop, The Green Bean. And just so you know, you can click name to get there or (I love the webpage address) go to greenbeanspaceship.com. Yeah a coffee shop and space ship all in one! Anyway, one of the girls I work with and her husband run/own two of these coffee shops in Fayetteville and I thought it would be fun to it check out. Obviously I don't drink coffee but their hot chocolate was AWE-SOME and the coffee-table-esq books and magazines on the table provided lots of enjoyment. It was interesting to listen to/eavesdrop on other people's random conversations. Then there was a point when Laura mentioned she likes analyzing other people's personalities so I got my own analysis...possibly to be explained to you at a later day; we shall see.

While at the coffee shop I mention that it might be fun to go by the Ft. Bragg Flea Market and Laura got this "heck no!" face goin' on. She doesn't like the idea of going to somewhere called a FLEA market and I told her it might be good to not touch/buy any fabricy items where fleas can congregate. Furthermore I thought it might be a good idea to think of it like a thrift store and went further to propose that we maybe suggest they re-name it to be Ft. Bragg Thrift Market instead to stave off any future grossed out feelings. AND since by going to the newly named, by us, thrift market we would be close, it might be a good idea to just swing by the used books store. Laura wasn't thrilled with these ideas because of the thought of spending money but alas, she conceded. We put a spending limit of $10 on ourselves so that we didn't over-do it.

We decide to go to the book store first (it was on the right side of the road) and let me just tell you that bookstores in general are some of my favorite places but slightly used books for cheap - you can't go wrong! Walking in Laura decided she wasn't going to spend any money - this one was gonna be tough for her so I remained skeptical. I on the other hand went straight for the FREE book shelf and picked out four books, 3 for me and 1 for research for my 6th graders - it is about Latin America. We then went to the 'Love Inspired' section and proceeded to read and laugh at the back descriptions of at least 20 books. I used restraint and didn't get anything from this section! I know it is shocking! I did end up getting a movie about Anne Frank - also to use at school - and 2 more leisure reading books for me. All-in-all I think I did really well...$6 - 6 books and a movie! Check me out! Laura, although tempted by many a cookbook, was able to stick to her plan of not buying anything. Yay her!

Now on to the flea market. One word...INTERESTING. We walked around for awhile looking but not buying. Some things - plates, glassware - looked like things we might buy but neither of us were really in a buying mood so we moved on. And then we went inside... Cue creepy music and smells (I couldn't think of an appropriate adjective for the "smells" so use your imagination). We meandered though the many stalls lined with chicken wire and definitely were not in a buying mood at this point so we moved quickly, surely missing out on many great items and deals but its whatever (as the kids are saying these days). AND moving on.

Now it is 3 o'clock, we have yet to eat anything today and what comes to mind? Olive Garden! Since Laura has gift cards from students and I got one from Santa Claus, why not? Now this is not your typical outing to Olive Garden. Because of a recent water main break in Fayetteville, there is concern with bacteria and other gross things in the water causing many places to operate out of their norm. Insert disposable everything.
Plasticware, styrofoam plates, to-go cups, paper napkins, plastic to-go containers for salad and soup...EVERYTHING! But it was great! Our wonderful waitress Tanithea was so not happy with how things had to be done bc of water issue and it made us laugh the whole time...the poor thing. I can understand how it would mess up your flow. They even served Coke products from 2 liter bottles! Hopefully for Tanithea's sake, all the water tests come back ok for tomorrow and she can get her groove back. But really it might be one of my best trips to OG. Of course the food and raspberry lemonade was delicious, as always!

I then spent an hour at the car wash to remove salt/sand from recent snow. Not fun but I rocked out to good tunes while I waited!

Laura and I also noticed that we like to add Extravaganza on to everything now and why not today as well! GREAT GREAT day!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Hahaha, loved it! And may i just say that I'm SO glad you noticed that the Thrift Market smelled funny too!! We kept walking by places and I kept thinking, uh, is it supposed to smell like this?