Friday, October 28, 2011

Teacher Workday

So today was a teacher workday and it is one of my favorite days of the school year.  I have been planning for this day for a few weeks now.  I had many lists prepared detailing things that needed to get done and I am delighted to inform you that I was able to accomplish all of the essentials on the list plus a few extra things that were just fun.

Top Reasons I Love Teacher Workdays:
1. I don't have to be to school until 8.  (Normally I am there by 6:15.)
2. I don't have to wear my 'teacher clothes".
3. I get to listen to music while I work.
4. I get to mark things off of my to-do lists.
5. I get to reorganize all the junk - I mean stuff - on my desks and bookshelves and closet.
6. I get to chat with other teachers I rarely get to see when I am trapped in my own classroom.
7. Maturity leave teachers bring their babies in to show them off.
8. I am at school working but there isn't a kid in sight.
9. We sometimes we have meetings where they buy us lunch.
10. I get to check things off my to-do lists.

I am sure there are way more things I love and they will all come to mind later but this gives you a bit of an idea.

This workday in particular comes at the end of the first nine weeks of school and is typically used as a day to get all of the grades posted for report cards, wrap up beginning of the year things and then prepare for the rest of the year.  At the end of each quarter we are asked to reflect on how things went.  Most people typically write a few sentences, these are the good things...these are the bad things.  Well for some reason today I felt as if it were necessary to write a book about the first nine weeks.  OK so it wasn't really a book but it was a single spaced page.

A lot of things have changed for me this year and I am having to get used to new roles and responsibilities.  I am now teaching math which is super stressful because it is tested and before when I was teaching social studies nobody really cared about the actual learning taking place.  I am also my team leader and 6th grade math PLC leader.  Both of which are jobs I have never had (or wanted) before and both require me to be on top of everything for everyone.  Oh yeah and not only that but I coached boys' soccer - everyday.  (So far we are 2-4 but we have a game next week that should be a fairly easy game for us so its not TOO bad.)  This first quarter has been extremely busy and therefore I felt it necessary to tell all about it.  Had I really took more time and thought about it longer, my reflection could have easily been 2 or more pages long but I was a little bit tired of writing and 2:30 was quickly approaching and I intended to be out the door as the bell rang.

I used to love teacher workdays because I got to stay at home all day.  Now I love teacher workdays because I still get to sleep in but I also get to go to school and be overly productive without children (or adults) constantly needing me for one thing or another.  Come Monday I am going to have another list and more junk that I need to do and so on and so forth but for right now, its Friday, I got home at 2:45, and I don't have to do anything until Monday!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Three cheers for teacher workdays! Cheer! Cheer! Cheer!