Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Christmas Quilt

That is the title of this new Christmasy background. I wanted something Christmas-like that didn't also JUMP out and scare you! One day I really want a fun quilt like this that looks hand sewn and traditional. I guess that style is sometimes classified as "country" or "old-fashioned" but I think that is kind of how you would describe my overall style as well.

I am in the process of prepping my apartment for Christmas but with 13 school days left until break and 25 days until Christmas, I find myself wanting to prepare my heart & mind for Christmas. As I get older, and now have my own job, I really don't make a Christmas list of things that I want - fun things like movies and toys. Now, I ask for help paying a bill or clothes that I can wear for work - you know, boring things.

Thanksgiving is generally like a trial run for how Christmas is going to go in my family. With 2 separate parts of my family to juggle, I find that the planning for the holidays is stressful. I don't want to let anyone down and I don't want to leave anyone out and I don't ever end up with a completely "fair" division of my time. Like the quilt in the background, I want to stitch together my holidays and my families to make a beautiful experience but unfortunately it doesn't always go as planned.

Back to Thanksgiving though... It went really well. I generally struggle to have a civilized conversation for any length of time with my older brother but this trip was so much easier! My mom even made a comment "You two were out there in the living room for hours, having conversations, watching TV, and I didn't hear any yelling or fighting." I KNOW!!! It is like a miracle. I am hoping that this is going to last. As far as juggling my time, I think I did a good job although I did have to weasel out of a few 'commitments' but I just need to stop overbooking myself.

Well, I am sorry for the long post and I am not sure I made a point - except that my dysfunctional family is finding a way (slowly but surely) to coexist and enjoy it. I love quilts - real quilts and would one day love bunches of them for each season to put on my bed! Christmas cards will be sent out by the weekend. That is all...

No comments: